The life a mom is stretched – we juggle all the time with the job, the children, the house activities – and there is few time for ourselves, if any. But the pressure to be healthy and looking good is also there – and we then feel tempted to get some ‘me-time’ and dedicate it to the gym. But as a mom that needs to maximize both time and money, there is no advantages on going to the gym:
- It is pricey – gym usually have quite high-priced memberships – we get convinced that we are making a great deal by paying for a year or so – just to realize later on what we already knew, that we had no time to enjoy the place and we just go once in a while to relief ourselves from the guilty from paying for it
- It is crowded – yes, you and most of the other users have the same idea – to use the facilities at lunch time or just before / after office hours. You stay longer waiting to use the equipment that actually doing the exercises
- It might not make you feel good about yourself - at the gym you will compare yourself (and be compared) with women that are many years younger than you and/or with much more time to dedicate to their bodies – and this will not make you feel better about your self-image
That absolutely does not mean we should not make exercises: it is important for our healthy – and so for our children. I believe it is also our job as a mom to give example to our children on keeping physically active and make this part of their lives.
- Incorporate exercise in your and your children daily lives – there are many ways of doing it and no one-size-fits-all here. Walk to whenever you can (to the school, the nursery, your office, the supermarket), make cleaning the house part of your exercise routine (vacuum, clean the windows)
- Explore sport activities with your children – there are many activities that are suitable for adults and children, adapting according to the age (swimming, trekking, horse back ridding, cycling, kicking a ball in the backyard). You might not get the best workout ever, but you will be enjoying time together with your children and will also teach them by example how you can have fun in a physical activity
What is your favorite mom/children exercise? How do you incorporate exercise in your daily life?